Thursday, July 12, 2007

Babyquilt

This is what kept me busy all last evenings after those crazy days of the last school weeks. My 6th graders to whom I teach basic sewing skills mended together the little squares in the middle. Motivation was that their class teacher was very pregnant. I had to do the rest and since the class is leaving it had to be done before summer vacations. It was a great surprise for their former teacher who visited her students on their last day. Unfortunately without the by now not so little baby, but she was so very happy. What I did not know was that she wanted a patchwork cover but could not find one. I have to tell you American readers, that quilting is not a German tradition as in the US. We do have it as a craft, but we don't use blankets etc. for sleeping, but duvets filled with feathers or other stuff.

It is almost my first quilt ever. I know it's not perfect, but my aim was to get it done without getting lost in instruction books and to get it done now. What a satisfaction to finally doing something and finishing. I really liked it, even more now that the presentee is so happy with it. Of course for the students it was a very good experience also.

6 comments:

  1. It's great,I am sure she will treasure it forever.
    Sunni

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm impressed with your 1st quilt Tally :o) AND it makes it even more gratifying that the receiver loved it also, Lillian

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's beautiful Tally - nice work!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks to you three for your nice words. I'm still in a very crafty mood and approval for sure doesn't hurt. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. It looks like you did a very nice job. Perhaps you will be making more quilts? I am finding it humorous that you are a teacher because first I find you like to surf (my son is a surfer), then I find you like to hike or climb mountains(my son again) and now that you are a teacher( my son was a substitute teacher last year and is applying to teach math or science this year). It is funny that 3 big things are the same! Hope you have a happy summer break.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, Tally, what a nice idea, you and the children did a great job !;o)

    ReplyDelete

 
W